Print Page   |   Contact Us


 Follow us on Twitter







Transition to Practice
Share |

A To-Do List for Graduate NPs in Massachusetts

1. Apply for national certification exam through one of the following certifying organizations:

American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Program

American Nurses Credentialing Center

Pediatric Nursing Certification Board

National Certification Corporation

Council on Certification of Nurse Anesthetists (CCNA)

American Midwifery Certification Board (AMCB)
2. Obtain your official (sealed and notarized) transcript from your graduate school's registrar's office.
3. Once you have obtained your national certification, obtain and complete your application for authorization to practice in an advanced practice role.

You will need to send a copy of your current license, your official transcript, and proof of your certification. Applications are available through Professional Credentialing Services. (This center credentials NPs in Massachusetts for the BORN).

To apply for initial authorization to practice in an advanced practice role through Professional Credential Services, Inc. go to:
4. Get a job! (and a supervising physician for prescriptive authority).


5. Agree upon written guidelines for practice that are developed in collaboration with, and are mutually acceptable to, the nurse practitioner and the physician, or the appropriate medical staff and nursing administration staff of the employing institution.

For detailed information related to Practice and Prescriptive Guidelines, click here to go to the FAQ page of the Health and Human Services/BORN website.

6. Obtain Prescriptive Authority by completing applications for appropriate state and federal registration numbers. (As above you will need to have a supervising physician in order to do this.)

For detailed information related to Practice and Prescriptive Guidelines, click here to go to the FAQ page of the Health and Human Services/BORN website.

All APRN who are seeking prescriptive authority in Massachusetts must register with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health- Drug Control Program (DPH-DCP). For a Massachusetts Controlled Substance Registration Number Application, call 617- 983-6700 or click here to download an application.

To prescribe controlled substances in Schedules II - V, you must also obtain a Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration number. To be eligible for a DEA number you must have a state Controlled Substance Registration Number or have an application pending for it from the DPH-DCP.

Click here to complete an online application for DEA Registration number.

7. Apply for an NPI Number (National Plan and Provider Enumeration System Number).

Although you do not need to have a job to apply for an NPI number, mailing address and practice address are required fields on the application. While you may list your home address, this will become public information and be available to anyone who has access to your NPI number. You may update your profile at a later date if you do not yet have a job or have not yet enrolled in Medicare and Medicaid.

To apply for an NPI Number:

8. Once employed, obtain necessary provider numbers for reimbursement by completing application/credentialing process with Medicare, Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA, and Mass Health:

* Start with the application for a Medicare Number as (unless you are practicing as a neonatal NP), this will be required in order to credential with Blue Cross/Blue Shield of MA.

National Heritage Insurance Co. (Medicare)
75 Sgt. William B. Terry Drive
Hingham MA 02043-1518
To Enroll: 781-741-3400 or

Blue Cross/ Blue Shield of Massachusetts Inc.
800-316-BLUE (2583)
Click Here to Apply for Credentialing
Click Here for Blue Links for Providers

Mass Health Provider Enrollment and Credentialing
PO Box 9109
Somerville, MA 02145
Click Here for Provider Enrollment Overview

As Massachusetts continues to implement the legislation that mandates insurance recognition of NPs as primary care providers, other insurers will be added to this list.

Additional Points About Insurance Credentialing:

* While you will likely be working with your practice administrator or institutional credentialing department to do this, it is your responsibility to insure that the appropriate numbers are obtained and used for billing.

9. Other Helpful Links:

Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing

244 CMR 4.00

General Nursing Rules and Regulations:
244 CMR

Office of Health and Human Services Website -
Nursing Practice Page

Member Sign In

News & Highlights
Calendar & Events

Greater Boston Regional Program

Metro South & SE MA Regional Program

North Shore Regional Program

Pioneer Valley Regional Program

Online Surveys